Stop Dozing off Behind the Wheel
One of the most dangerous hazards out their driving on the road with you is actually yourself! Last year, according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) falling asleep while driving caused 100,000 reported crashes. Those crashes resulted in 1,500 deaths and 71,000 injuries.
Our goal, here at DeVoe Buick GMC, is not only to provide you reliable new and used vehicles, but also to help you stay safe on the road. We recently found an article in the New York Daily News that highlighted some very useful tips to fight off fatigue when you are behind the wheel.
- When you feel sleeping taking over, don’t try to fight it; pull over for a quick refresher nap or switch drivers if you have people with you.
- If you are going on a road trip, take people with you! Having company to play road games, to talk to or even to share the driving responsibilities with is a huge help.
- Make sure you have some extra cash in case you need to stop off at a hotel for the night.
- Pack snacks for your long drive, but avoid eating heavy meals.
- Try to drive at times when you would normally be awake.
- Stop at rest areas to take a break and refresh. Many of them offer drinks or snacks and sometimes have great scenic views.
Next time you head out on the road, make sure you are well rested and keep these tips in mind.